Thursday, June 3, 2010

Lollygagging



  • Webster’s Dictionary defines lollygagging as dawdling.  When the Blue Sapphire caught some of us dawdling today she called us out on it.  Now I am not about to claim: It wasn’t me, because when we spin together we are in a sense a collective and we are all in spin class as one even though it is an individual effort.  We are a team for three  reasons:  First we have for various reasons chosen this time to be in her class and if we are not first timers we all know what is expected of us from a professional like Carolyn. Secondly the energy in the studio is vital to each and every one of us. When it’s high we can all feel it and feed off it. When it’s low the same holds true because our collective effort suffers.  And thirdly Carolyn is pouring her blood sweat and tears into the class by doing what she is asking of us.  How can we let her and ourselves down as well?  That’s why it’s a team and we have to all pull together. 

    Are you buying into this?  My guess is yes because in a club like Equinox our time is valuable and we are not going to waste it on lollygagging. 

    The Blue Sapphire had me so focused on my breathing Thursday night and for the first time most of the hour I was breathing through my nose instead of my mouth.  Carolyn had explained to me that when we take air in via the mouth it’s CO2 we are breathing as opposed to Oxygen when we take air through our nose. I can’t say it was easy because I was suffering from the belief that I could get more air via mouth breathing but I was wrong and I have to tell you that I was less fatigued and my pedal stroke was more powerful.  I may have been hallucinating I will let you know if it works a second time.

    Carolyn likes to use the word “Beautiful” and it is her that is.  I love coming to her class and I love writing about her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment