Sunday, July 18, 2010

Wanted: Dead of Alive


The Blue Sapphire had a nice mix today in her musical selection. And when she started to play Bon Jovi's, Wanted Dead or Alive I thought about the 1958 version played on television by a then obscure actor named Steve McQueen. I admit to having a little bias here as my alter ego is John McQueen. I have often used it as a door opener on the phone or in person and it went like this: John McQueen, like Steve, but John. Years ago I always got a chuckle or a query; Any relation? I used to answer no or a very distant cousin. Today however not many know the King of Cool, Steve McQueen. He was a big star in the 1960's and 1970's and he died rather young of cancer at the age of 50. On the phone I instantly know if someone is under thirty or not because they have no recognition of the name and usually think I am talking about the mythical character in the Die Hard series, John McClane. It's too bad that an actor of that magnitude gets forgotten so easily. Most people think that The Breakfast Club is an old movie.

A packed house for the blue precious stone today and she was spot on with hill climbs that were challenging and she added low resistance speed work that had me approaching the anaerobic state. It's a great combination I think because it focuses on leg strength, endurance and the speed flushes out the legs to fuel recovery. Carolyn might have a different take on it but so far her regimen is working well for me. From the back row I could see my friend Debbie who is so sweet and carries the physiology of an olympian and it gives me a perspective of just how much effort we show for the Blue Sapphire. At one point Carolyn said something about going through the motions, and from my vantage point I couldn't see who was lollygagging. It's near impossible anyway TBS always galvanizes us to bring out even more effort than we think possible every time we spin with her. Hello Sunday! It was a great way to finish up a hot weekend.


7 comments:

  1. The Breakfast Club IS an OLD movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for proving my point!. My sisters kid me regularly that I only watch B&W movies. And I will have to respectfully disagree that the Breakfast Club is not an old movie. Gone With the Wind is an old movie, Arsenic and Old Lace is an old movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another old movie is "The Bad & The Beautiful". But, with Douglas & Turner, you can never tell which one is the beast and which is the beauty. Now, that's what makes those old movies touch a soul & remain a classic.



    FILM NOIR : THE POEM

    Classic movies have class.
    Modern films rarely touch that golden light of true vision.
    But, then again, it all depends on how you look at it.

    - A Smokin' Hot Blonde

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment, smokin hot blonde, and in the Bad and the Beautiful I think that Kirk and Lana pitch in taking turns on good and evil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the coincidences continue in my life as The Bad and the Beautiful is on right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TCM can be like Aladdin's lamp. Rub the remote control and magic comes about. Bravo, TCM..:)

    - A Smokin' Hot Blonde

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are indeed many Smokin Hot Blondes at Woodbury. and I don't just mean the instructors. Although there are two I can think of right off the bat.

    ReplyDelete